Firefighter/Paramedic Lateral Transfer
The Ashland Fire Division
The Fire Division is an organization of approximately 40 employees. Our mission is “to be a community leader in life safety and property conservation through dedication, training, and education.” The Division provides emergency fire, medical, and rescue services to the City of Ashland and two contractual townships, Milton and Montgomery both located in Ashland County. The Fire Division offers a variety of opportunities to utilize your strengths as a Firefighter/Paramedic.
- Must be a United States citizen
- Must have completed secondary education (Diploma or GED)
- Must Possess a valid Ohio Driver's License, be able to qualify for and remain insurable under the City's vehicle insurance program.
- Must meet all requirements to be a Firefighter/Paramedic outlined on page 8 in the Civil Service Rules 3.3(b) and Fire Division Lateral Transfer Rules on page 18, 5.1(b).
- Candidate must have a minimum of one (1) year of full-time experience in the state of Ohio, including have completed the probationary period. Currently employed or previously employed in the last twelve (12) months, as a full-time firefighter/paramedic for a jurisdiction in the state of Ohio. (Jurisdiction is defined as any Ohio Municipal, State, County, or State University entity which utilizes a Firefighter agency)
- No disciplinary action in the past twelve (12) months that resulted in suspension or loss of pay.
Compensation and Benefits:
- Starting wage will be the same as all newly hired, probationary firefighters (per contract), plus an additional step increase for each full year of previous service, up to a maximum of 5 years. (Year for Year)
- Eligible day one for insurances; there is no waiting period for: Health (which is subsidized substantially by the employer), Dental, $40K term Life Policy with the option to purchase more, voluntary FSA and 457 plans
- Paid time off after the successful completion of Orientation Training Program: 2 weeks of vacation, holidays, personal days prorated based on hire date up to 3 days, and we accept eligible sick leave transfers from other public employers in OH
What do I need to do to apply? Refer to the Eligibility to Test form included in the application packet to determine if you meet the minimum qualifications for the position of Firefighter/Paramedic. If you meet all the qualifications, complete and sign all forms, and submit copies of required documents.
- Eligibility to Test Form
- Information Release Waiver
- Physical Waiver Exam Waiver
- Copies of all required documents:
- High School diploma or equivalent
- EMT-P certificate
- Certification of employment
- Driver's license
- DD214, if claiming military credit
The physical ability exam will be conducted on an as needed basis. Click HERE for a link to the details for the physical ability exam.
Submit your Eligibility to Test form, your application, and notarized waivers (Physical Exam and Information Release) and additional documents to:
City of Ashland Human Resources
206 Claremont Avenue
Ashland, OH 44805
*All submitted copies will become the property of the City of Ashland and will not be returned.