Maintenance Supervisor for Water Treatment & Pollution Plants
The City of Ashland has an opening for a Supervisor in City Utilities to oversee maintenance for the Water Treatment and Water Pollution plants. This person reports to Michael Hunter, Director of City Services.
Applications with resumes will be accepted from November 12, 2019 until November 25, 2019 in the Human Resources Department (8:00am-4:00pm, Monday-Friday).
What You'll Do:
1) Supervise the work of personnel engaged in skilled mechanical maintenance and repair work at the water treatment (WT) and water pollution (WP) plants (schedule and assign work, provide training, ensure proper completion of work and adherence to safety standards, evaluate performance, recommend discipline, etc.)
2) Assist assigned personnel with skilled mechanical installation, maintenance, and repair work at the WT/WP plants( install and repair pumps, blowers, compressors, motors, etc); assembles and installs new equipment
3) Set up, and ensure adherence to, preventative maintenance system
4) Collaborate with the Director of City Utilities, Water Treatment Plant and Wastewater Plant Superintendents to organize, prioritize, and delegate routine tasks and special projects to work crew, with a strong demand for high quality, organized, and repeatable results; set strategic, "big-picture" goals and communicate them with stakeholders
5) Follow-up closely on assigned tasks to ensure standards and schedules are met; perform progress checks on work crews
6) Ensure that all staff members are trained on OSHA, EPA, state and federal guidelines, City policies and procedures, make ongoing training and skills development a priority for self and staff
7) Prepare and maintain records, reports, and other documentation (e.g. time cards, time off requests, performance management tasks, work assignments, etc.); maintain accurate inventory of parts and equipment needed to keep plants serviced
8) Operate trucks and other equipment and perform manual labor to assist crew when necessary
An ideal candidate:
1) is self-assured, self-disciplined, and works with a sense of urgency
2) takes pride in quality, timely work
3) sets specific goals and standards for self and crew and will influence cew to work to a high standard
4) can learn quickly, thoroughly, and in detail
5) can multi-task, is adaptable, and is comfortable with changing conditions and priorities when "something comes up," and is available for intermittent call-back and overtime
6) has excellent communication skills with direct reports, supervisor, across departments, and with the public. Customer service is second only to safety
7) can make independent decisions, weighing risks against benefits, and take responsibility for them; will collaborate with others on decisions when appropriate
8) has basic computer skills for communication, time keeping, record keeping, reporting, budgeting, etc.