The City of Ashland has an opening for full-time meter reader in the Water Billing Office.
Applications will be accepted from July 29, 2019 - August 09, 2019 in the Human Resources Department (8:00am-4:00pm, Monday-Friday). Applicants may take the Civil Service Test during normal business hours, no appointment needed.
What You'll Do:
- Reads residential, commercial, and industrial water meters; enters readings into handheld data storage device; receives and responds to customer inquiries
- Checks meters to ensure proper operation; makes basic repairs to defective meters; installs new and removes meters; orders necessary materials to make repairs
- Collects delinquent accounts; shuts off water service to delinquent accounts
- Prepares records of daily activities and repair work
- Demonstrates regular and predictable attendance
- Cleans and maintains vehicles, equipment, maintenance shop, etc.
- Miscellaneous duties as assigned
Compensation and Benefits:
- Wages: hourly pay is $14.65; plus annual increases as negotiated by AFSCME
- Eligible day one for insurances, there is no waiting period! Available insurances:
-Health (80% of the monthly premium is paid for by The City!)
-$20K term Life policy with the option to purchase more
- Paid Time off
-10 paid holidays
-Sick leave begins accruing immediately, plus The City accepts sick leave transfers from qualifying public employers
-2 weeks of vacation prorated at 1 year anniversary, the 2 weeks every January 1 after;
-2 personal days
- Participation in OPERS (Ohio Public Employees' Retirement System) (with The City contributing an additional 14% and employees contributing 10% of wages)
- Available 457 Plan
We're looking for someone who:
- Is "Dedicated to Service"
- Has earned a high school diploma or a GED, plus 6 months semi-skilled work experience, or equivalent combination of training and experience
- Has a valid OH driver license
- Is eligible to drive City vehicles under our vehicle insurance policy
- Can walk several miles per day
- Likes to work to work as a team, but is able to work independently when needed
- Will work in the various weather conditions found year round in Ohio
- Can lift up to 50 pounds and move up to 80 pounds with assistance
- Is available year round, no seasonal furloughs!
- Is willing and able to learn and follow City policies and procedures. will always consider safety as the number one priority