The City of Ashland has an opening for a Supervisor in the Street Department. This person reports to Jason Counts, Director of Parks/Interim Director of City Services.
Applications with resumes will be accepted from July 1, 2019 until July 15, 2019 in the Human Resources Department (8:00am-4:00pm, Monday-Friday).
What You'll Do:
1) Supervise an experienced workforce, supplemented by seasonal and temporary workers in a variable, fast-paced environment
2) Set strategic, "big-picture" goals and communicate them with stakeholders
3) Organize, prioritize, and delegate routine tasks and special projects to work crew, with a strong demand for high quality, organized, and repeatable results
4) Follow-up closely on assigned tasks to ensure standards and schedules are met; performs progress checks on work crews in the field
5) Ensure that all staff members are trained on OSHA, state and federal guidelines, City policies and procedures, make ongoing training and skills development a priority for self and staff
6) Prepare and maintain records, reports, and other documentation (e.g. time cards, time off requests, performance management tasks, work assignments, etc.)
7) Operate trucks and other equipment and perform manual labor to assist crew when necessary
An ideal candidate:
1) is self-assured, self-disciplined, and works with a sense of urgency
2) takes pride in quality, timely work
3) sets specific goals and standards for self and crew and who will influence cew to work to a high standard
4) can learn quickly, thoroughly, and detail
5) can multi-task, is adaptable, and is comfortable with changing conditions and priorities when "something comes up," and is available for intermittent call-back and overtime
6) has excellent communication skills with direct reports, supervisor, across departments, and with the public. Customer service is second only to safety.
7) can make independent decisions, weighing risks against benefits, and take responsibility for them; will collaborate with others on decisions when appropriate
8) has basic computer skills for communication, time keeping, record keeping, reporting, budgeting, etc.
1) Completion of secondary education (diploma or GED), experience as a crew leader or supervisor, or equivalent combination of training and experience
2) Must have a valid OH driver license, Class A CDL, Preferred. (Must attain a Class A CDL with in 6 months of employment, if you do not have one)
3) Must be and remain insurable under the City's vehicle insurance policy